TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Ethical Considerations Regarding Gifts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ethical Considerations Regarding Gifts Login/Join 
posted
This issue was recently put to me by other attorneys in my office and I was wondering what other prosecutors in other jurisdictions think about it.

Is it ethical to receive a going away gift (such as a watch) with the understanding that you are leaving the jurisdiction to practice in another jurisdiction and then simply refuse to leave?

For clarification: The prosecutor in this case:
a) did not have the watch in plain view; b) was not otherwise prohibited from possessing a watch; c) was not a member of a criminal street gang; d) was not committing an offense above a Class C; and e) was not in a private vehicle.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who was the gift from? Was it returned?

Posts: 73 | Location: Richmond, TX | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think both of you should leave the poor girl alone. I have nothing to trounce Newell with, but could begin referring to a driver's license photo from certain assistant da's teen years that make that certain assistant da appear to be a woman, not mentioning any names Wesley.

[This message was edited by Greg Gilleland on 11-01-05 at .]

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fred made me do it!

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I do miss Fort Bend and all that comes with it! Smile

Posts: 1 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: November 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wes is a girley man for sucumbing to temptation to participate.

Now I know Wes is not Robin (but maybe catwoman). Although Newell claimed to be Batman in another post yesterday, now maybe it is Fred who is batman and Newell is just Alfred the Butler, blythely following Batman's orders. Which still leaves the burning question as to what or who the secret identity of Robin is? Susie Morton, Phil Hall????Egads, not Anu or Herb????

Who knows the answer to this question?

[This message was edited by Greg Gilleland on 11-01-05 at .]

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She got a watch and a big party ?!?!

No wonder she stayed.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I decided to have mercy on a young lady, who got caught passing forged checks. No criminal history & her dad is a lawyer in Houston and represented her. I offered "pre-trial diversion" for one year. The dad/lawyer was very happy and appeared very grateful. When he and his daughter came to my office to fill out the paperwork, he presented me with a Houston Astros ball cap. I told him, I was not sure I could accept such a thing. He left it on my desk.

I reported the incident to my boss & left the cap with him.

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
was this before or after the Stro's were swept?

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post