New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aged DNA Login/Join 
posted
DNA Tests on Old Underwear Lead to Arrest

April 26, 2005 5:42 PM EDT
NEW YORK - A man suspected of raping at least 25 women in three states has been arrested in a 1973 rape after DNA tests on the victim's underwear linked him to the attack, prosecutors said Tuesday.

Clarence Williams, 58, was connected this month to the 1973 rape of a Manhattan woman and to strings of attacks in Maryland and New Jersey after the federal DNA database matched a sample from him to genetic evidence left in many of those attacks, said District Attorney Robert Morgenthau.

"This case shows the importance of the federal database," Morgenthau said. "It will send a chill through defendants to know that you can still test for DNA after 32 years."

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the kind of thing that should get more publicity. Maybe when the public starts to realize that criminals get apprehended this way, they will be more likely to accept the idea that routine DNA testing will not violate their privacy to any greater degree than fingerprinting.

What we should be doing is setting up and funding DNA testing upon arrest, just like we do fingerprinting. Just imagine the first time we solve a child rape/murder because the guy gets arrested for PI. One day...

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's funny that when DNA frees someone, the press write stories for weeks. When DNA catches a criminal, you get two inches on page four, once.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you mean "funny -- ha, ha"?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny in that way where if I express my opinion too clearly the post will be removed again. Smile

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philip -- those of us in the know realize that you were quoting Sling Blade, and know the rest of that query.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I laughed when I saw my post was removed, then realized that I probably owe thanks to the person removing it.

Cheers on catching the SlingBlade reference!

posted Hide Post
It works in Abilene, Texas, too. Police just matched a fingerprint and DNA evidence to catch a 1974 murderer of young boy and an attack on his sister. Fingerprint matched after he was arrested for a DWI in 2004, then compared DNA from blood left at scene - seems he cut himself while stabbing the girl.

Posts: 419 | Location: Abilene, TX USA | Registered: December 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post