TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Disability Rights Texas (DRTx)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disability Rights Texas (DRTx) Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone had any dealings with Disability Rights Texas (DRTx), and in particular with respect to a county jail. Unfortunately, I have to admit that I am not familiar with them.

Our Sheriff received a letter stating that they were contacted by a detainee who claims he is not being given access to mental health care. DRTx claims that federal law authorizes them to access, investigate and monitor facilities, including jails.

I would greatly appreciate any knowledge or wisdom anyone can share.

Thanks.

Posts: 63 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: September 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are the current iteration of the organization formerly known as Advocacy, Inc. I had some experience dealing with them under their former moniker. I found them not to be as bombastic as, say, the ACLU can be. But they will look to make an example of your county if they believe they can.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start at 42 USCA § 10801, et seq.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post