TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Release of Lis Pendens
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Release of Lis Pendens Login/Join 
posted
I'm an ADA who has been receiving calls from a lender regarding a lis pendens filed by our office in 2002 under Art. 59. We dismissed (with prejudice) the civil action sometime in 2003, but the lis pendens was apparently never released. I don't do much in the area of forfeitures so I'm wondering if the State needs to release the lis pendens, or if the dismissal should have been sufficient. Does anyone know how to release the lis pendens? Thanks.

Posts: 8 | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to file a Release in the County Clerk's office. The dismissal does not appear in the Deed Records. So unless it references the civil case number on its face, title examiners have no way of knowing that it's no longer valid. (Even if they do locate the case, most will not know how to interpret the dismissal anyway.)

Posts: 20 | Location: Lynn County, TX | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Release of Lis Pendens is nothing complicated: "Now Comes the State of Texas and hereby releases its lis pendens against that certain tract of real property described as (legal decription) filed in connection with State v. _______, Cause No. ______ in the _______ Court." The Release is filed with your County Clerk in the Deed Records. Call or email me if you need further help. Wink

Posts: 188 | Location: Lubbock, Texas USA | Registered: October 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post