TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Noise problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Noise problem Login/Join 
posted
We have a local bar/dancehall that is just outside the city limits of the county seat. Across the highway (in the city limits) is a neighborhood. There have been and are currently numerous complaints about the noise level of the music being played at the establishment. As far as I know the county does not have any regulations regarding noise. I have been told the city has a noise ordinance (have not seen it personally). My sheriff is calling asking for help, thus my post here. My thoughts: Since the coutny does not have any rules pertaining to this type of activity and the city does, wouldn't the city be able to enforce its ordinance within the city's ETJ? What do ya'll think?

Posts: 106 | Location: Uvalde, Texas | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about using PC Sec. 42.01(a)(5)? The noise level must exceed the level specified in Local Gov. Code 251.001.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not call the S.O. and have a deputy respond to the complaint? It is in the county, right?
Ken is correct about 42.01(a)(5), but look to sub section (c), and use a decibel meter!

Posts: 16 | Location: Brazos County Texas | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi John! Greetings from the world of municipal law.

If the city is home-rule, try Local Government Code � 217.042.

Posts: 1 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Allison. Good to hear from you. Thanks to everybody for the help. I found out today that it is a home-rule city. Now I just have to convince the city to take care of it.

Posts: 106 | Location: Uvalde, Texas | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post