TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Donations by one county to a neighboring county
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Donations by one county to a neighboring county Login/Join 
posted
Can a county donate surplus property to a neighboring county? If so under what authority.

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that I can see. The county may sell surplus property to another county without using a competitive bidding or auction process. See Loc. Gov't Code sec. 263.152(a)(1). The only authorization for donation is in subsection (a)(4), which allows donation of surplus property to a civic or charitable organization within the county if sale of the property--essentially--isn't worthwhile, the donation serves a public purpose and the county will receive some value, such as being relieved of disposal costs. Otherwise, the whole "gift" bugaboo of art. 3, section 52(a) of the Constitution arises.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. That was my conclusion as well, just checking that I was not missing something.

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to transfer to property pursuant to some sort of intergovernmental agreement? Any service or value they can provide to you in return?

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post