TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    What is an Excessive Fine?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is an Excessive Fine? Login/Join 
posted
Seems like the result in 1996 DodgeX-Cab is already being used to question most any forfeiture of property under ch. 59, even though the opinion seems to have the same degree of tension with the holding in Fant that Ursery has with Austin and Bajakajian. My questions are: (1) will it now take expert testimony concerning the value of the property sought to be forfeited to try these cases, and (2) how do you "value" the "gravity" of the offense? I am seeking to forfeit real property worth maybe $150,000 alleging it was used in the offense of possessing more than 4 grams of controlled substance, a second degree felony. (Exactly how real property is "used" in the commission of a criminal offense within the meaning of the statute is the subject of separate debate). The maximum direct fine for such offense is $10,000, but what is the permissible ratio between the "value" of the offense and the forfeiture "fine" for 8th amendment purposes? Bajakajian has been pretty dormant in Texas, till now, as far as I can tell. But, I do not think it will stay that way, since the Beaumont opinion gives little real guidance concerning these issues and thus invites them to be litigated case-by-case. Plus the Bajakajian crime involved money in itself and was thus a bit easier to evaluate. The potential harm of a drug overdose or addiction or health hazards associated even with a single dose of PG 1 substance seems pretty high to me, but is hard to define in dollars and cents beyond the street value of the poison itself.

Another issue in my case is whether the value of a lienholder's interest (protected under art. 59.02(c)) is deducted in determining the amount of the "fine". Certainly seems like it would be, but the defendant, of course, is claiming otherwise. Since the Texas statute requires no conviction, does the 8th Amendment really even apply? In my case the defendant has admitted committing the criminal offense, but will not be prosecuted for it (in state court). I am having trouble understanding how he can rely on the 8th amendment, yet an innocent owner could not. Bennis v. Michigan. I take the current muddled state of the law to be that a civil remedial forfeiture becomes a "payment to a sovereign as punishment for some offense" whenever (but only when) it can be characterized as excessive, and that no one can predict what "excessive" means. Furthermore, of course, forfeitures are never so punitive that they constitute punishment for double jeopardy purposes. Anyone have some insight? Trying to understand this jurisprudence is punishing me with a headache.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see someone else struggling with this new case. I was presented with it just minutes before the start of my forfeiture hearing. I think my judge spent more time reading and highlighting than he did listening to my officer testify. We had to recess for time issues but no one seems to know what evidence to put on to help the judge weigh the "proportionality" of the drugs seized (1g meth) and $17,000 car. The defense offered us $3000 to settle the case.
If you get any further insight on how to best try these cases now, please let me know. I have a few on the back burner to dispose of in the next few months.

Posts: 26 | Location: Lufkin, TX | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post