TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    pauper burials
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pauper burials Login/Join 
posted
Can anyone share their county's policies regarding the disposition of the body of a deceased pauper?

I've reviewed JC-0228, which was helpful. Funny thing, though, I can't find any guidance on how to determine whether the deceased qualifies as a pauper.

Posts: 50 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always taken the position that if they have sufficient funds or assets that we can locate to pay for a bare-bones burial or cremation (no disrespect intended), they aren't a pauper for purposes of that law. I never found anything more specific than that. If you find something more specific, please share it.

A.D.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've instituted a policy that all pauper dispositions are by cremation (because it's substantially less expensive). Often, the family shows up and objects. When they are informed that, if they want the county to bear the expense, cremation is the only option, funds often begin to magically appear.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post