TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Private or public roads?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Private or public roads? Login/Join 
posted
Query to all of you bright and sharp County Attorney types: Subchapter E of Chapter 352, Local Gov't Code, was amended in 2005 to add a "residential subdivision" subject to gating in order to accommodate emergency vehicles, etc (see 352.111 et seq). Prior to that time, it applied only to multi-unit housing project. Back in 2000, the Hon. John Cornyn opined that a public road accepted for maintenance by a Commissioners Court could not be obstructed by a gate or anything else. Did the 2005 amendment to Chapter 352 change that? Cn a commissioners court authorize a residential subdivision to gate a public road so long as the requirements of Chapter 352 are met. Inquiring minds want to know.

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LGC 352 does not authorize locked gates on public roads, in my opinion. It just requires private road subdivisions with locked gates to provide emergency access. Trans. code section 251.010 allows a Commissioners Court to authorize gates on 3rd class public roads in situations described therein, but they cannot be locked.

Posts: 48 | Location: Hill County | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mark. The roads in a gated subdivision in an unincorporated area are "private roads." They would not be accepted into the county road system for maintenance, but would be subject to the emergency access rules.

Posts: 188 | Location: Lubbock, Texas USA | Registered: October 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you guys, but the addition of the term "residential subdivision," without qualification as to private roads, is vague and open to an alternative interpretation. My commissioners are not going to allow it on public roads, even if legal.

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post