TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Absent County Judge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Absent County Judge Login/Join 
posted
If the County Judge is absent for several days, who else has authority to sign Orders of Protective Custody in Mental Commitment cases?

Our county does not have a "designated magistrate" as contemplated by Chapter 574 of the Mental Health Code. I also do not have a visiting judge appointed as allowed by the Government Code.

I thought there was a statute that said that the nearest district judge can sign for a district judge who is not in the County, but I can't find that statute. Is there a similar provision applicable to constitutional county judges?

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not know the answer, but could the county judge pro tem (one of the commissioners) sign the order?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not certain of the answer either, but would strongly suggest that anything you do with regard to a pro tem be documented and filed. Creating a solution that becomes a local practice in your community will not save you if it is later challenged - and may throw all actions into question.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brooks Texas Practice, Section 5.4: "There is no provision for the designation of a temporary county judge or commissioner during periods where such officials may be incapacitated."

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then why do commissioners courts designate a pro tem at the beginning of each calendar year? Is it just to preside over meetings when the Judge is absent?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post