TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Expert Witnesses    Dr. David Self
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dr. David Self Login/Join

posted
I'm working on a murder case where the defense has hired Dr. Self - Defendant is claiming insanity. Has anyone had Dr. Self testify for the defense with respect to insanity issues? If transcripts are available - would love to have them... Thanks! Smile

Posts: 4 | Location: TX | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen him on the defense side but I and a couple other people from my office have used him as an expert witness on some of our cases. My case pled out before trial but Lisa Tanner from our office used him on a case that went to trial and could tell you more about how he testifies. He seems to me very straight forward and honest, not likely to go out on a limb or testify to something untenable. You can reach Lisa or I at (512) 463-2170.

Posts: 23 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi April,
Yep, Dr. Self is on my short list to call on future dangerousness/MR cases. Once he explained to our jury how he went from getting an undergraduate degree in Poultry Science to becoming a forensic psychiatrist, that small town East TX jury was eating out of his hand!

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have great respect for David Self. My partner, Lloyd Whelchel and I used him on the future danger issue in a pair of cases here in FW. Co-defendants raped and murdered two young women within a six week period. In one case the defense presented mental health evidence and Self got an interview with the D. In the other he had to rely upon evidence other than a clinical interview due to defense trial tactics. In both he was outstanding. He also made me look brilliant in our 705(b) hearing and before the jury as he fed me questions for the defense experts. Last I knew, David was doing risk assessment for NGRI and others at Rusk State Hosp.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post