TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Other    stonehenge replica
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stonehenge replica Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone happen to have a replica of Stonehenge laying around that I can borrow for a week? If so, do you have any druid costumes to go along with that?

Just curious... Cool

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the price of a return ticket and a visit to a costume shop, I'm sure you could do the real thing!! If economy matters (I'm sure it does to a gov emplee) I have heard a replica exists somewhere in East Texas and you could wear sheets. What's the occasion? I have always been fascinated by druids.

Ever seen a movie called something like the WickerBasket Men, with Britt Ecklund (one of Rod Stewart's many ex SO)?

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'ver got to be mum about the occasion, but my good friend Scott Brumley Razz told me it was absolutely essential for him to have a Stonehenge replica, with druid costumes if possible. I might try to get the 18" tall replica that was used in the movie Spinal Tap...

He needs that and some sort of chicken suit... Big Grin

I thought the name of the movie was Wicker Man? I have seen it, don't they burn the wicker "statue" at the end of the movie?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg, I have an original, not replica, of a rusty hinge; I'd be glad for you to have it.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a very nice scale model of Stonehenge in Hunt, Texas. Not sure the scale, but it's higher than I am tall.

Take the highway from Kerrville, through Ingram. When you get to the Y outside Hunt, veer right. It's a mile or two down the road on the left.

N.B. The author does not warranty these directions. You could also just go to Hunt and ask, "Hey, where's that Stonehenge thingy?"

Posts: 39 | Location: Crockett, Texas, USA | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Hunt creation is probably the one I was thinking of. I was told about it at the TDCAA Capital Murder Seminar in Kerrville so that makes perfect sense it should be close by.

Yes, Greg, in the movie, the sacrifice was burned.

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg,

You're right, it's "The Wicker Man", one of the true classics of British filmmaking! (That Nicholas Cage is blasphemously remaking.) They have a Stonehenge-like stone circle that the maidens of the village dance naked in during one scene...is that something you two absolutely have to have along with your replica? Wink

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maidens pure in virtue required for dancing in the buff before amassed audience of crazed worshipers. Possibility of death by conflagaration. Bring your own wicker baskets.

posted Hide Post
From what I recall, the maidens weren't required to be all that pure, and the only person risking death by conflagaration was the one man who resisted temptation. Makes you think, hmm? Smile

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrea Westerfeld:
Greg,

You're right, it's "The Wicker Man", one of the true classics of British filmmaking! (That Nicholas Cage is blasphemously remaking.) They have a Stonehenge-like stone circle that the maidens of the village dance naked in during one scene...is that something you two absolutely have to have along with your replica? Wink

Maidens sound much better than druid dwarfs! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
check your PM's, Mr. Stride.

posted Hide Post
There will be no naked dancing bald dudes involved. As for the dwarfs and maidens, I can only say that there will be a tattoo inspection, with points being assigned for originality, form, content and hygiene.

All involved will be expected to endure an amplifier turned up to "11". Black leather chaps, of course, are optional. Razz

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect Scott is attempting a remake of the mockumentary Spinal Tap:

(From Wickipedia) A memorable segment of the film occurs when a miniature replica of Stonehenge is lowered onto the stage behind the band and two dwarves come on stage to dance around it. The band members were expecting a full sized 18-foot replica, but were instead presented with an 18-inch model, made exactly as indicated on the original plan (a bar napkin with two tick marks after the "18" instead of one). St Hubbins laments during the gig debrief, "I think that the problem may have been... that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed... by a dwarf." It is commonly believed this was a play on Black Sabbath's tour for 1983's Born Again album, which featured massive Stonehenge sets that barely fit on the stages the band played (Sabbath's management had ordered the set measurements in feet, but the manufacturers accidentally built the set using meters). But in reality the reverse may be true, as the Stonehenge sequence appeared in a 1982 20-minute demo of the film. Led Zeppelin also had a Stonehenge stage theme in the final U.S. concerts held in Oakland, California in July, 1977.

For a clip of Scott's rehearsal, click here.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Brumley:
There will be no naked dancing bald dudes involved. As for the dwarfs and maidens, I can only say that there will be a tattoo inspection, with points being assigned for originality, form, content and hygiene.

All involved will be expected to endure an amplifier turned up to "11". Black leather chaps, of course, are optional. Razz

Any chaps worn will be without anything underneath, a la' the Village People.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Brumley:
As for the dwarfs and maidens, I can only say that there will be a tattoo inspection, with points being assigned for originality, form, content and hygiene.Razz

You forgot the most important assessment criteria, that is, location, location, location.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Stride:
.....If economy matters (I'm sure it does to a gov emplee) I have heard a replica exists somewhere in East Texas and you could wear sheets.

I would suggest you think long and hard before running around in east texas in a sheet. Might be a little bad PR for the elected.

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post