TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Other    Loan Repayment Survey
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loan Repayment Survey Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
TDCAA is seeking information from prosecutors relating to loan repayment. Go to our main page for all the details and, if applicable to you, please complete the referenced survey.

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your work on this...

JBS

Posts: 8 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Our pleasure. Keep checking the website for updates!

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barrett,

You and Mo couldn't possibly be paying off years of loans? I remember paying mine about 15 years into my marriage. Can't even imagine how long it would take now. OOOO my.Are you going to Padre?

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Despite an overwhelmingly positive response to our survey and almost 800 responses indicating an interest in the JRJ loan repayment program, the application process has revealed something very different.

As of Dec. 28, 2010--6 weeks into the application process and only 10 days shy of the deadline--the THECB has received less than 125 applications TOTAL, from prosecutors and public defenders. That's fewer applications than there are awards to hand out!

What's the deal, people? Talk to us! To date, we've heard three reasons prosecutors have not applied:

1) elected prosecutors are not eligible
2) prosecutors with less than 12 months of experience are not eligible
3) the taxable nature of the award cancels out any benefit

Do any of those apply to you? Do you have an additional reason for not applying? Let us know ...

posted Hide Post
Also, you have to previously have been on an income based repayment plan--which was not offered by my lender until very recently. There might be others out there whose lenders didn't or don't offer that plan.

Some might be deterred by the three year promise. I am working on my sixth year as a prosecutor and would prefer to continue to do so, but my husband could get transferred at any time and I can't guarantee for the next three years that I will be in a location where there are prosecutor jobs available.

The really tough part is the income based repayment plans do not take into account private loans, which are substantial in some people's cases. So they determine based on income alone what they THINK you SHOULD be able to pay without recognizing that there are lots of other loans that have to be paid, too. The federal loans are easier to defer or lower, so the IBR programs are too expensive because they don't consider the true total picture.

[This message was edited by suzannewest on 12-29-10 at .]

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suzanne, I haven't read the whole rule package this week, but isn't the worst that could happen if you default on your three-year promise that you would have to repay the balance of the payments for the time you didn't serve? In other words, wouldn't you just be right back to making the payments you were supposed to be making?

Maybe I'm not clear on the rate at which the payments get made, and a quick search just now didn't make that any clearer for me. But do they just essentially take over your payments for you? Or do they dish out a larger sum each year than you would actually be obligated to pay for that year?

Posts: 114 | Location: Bryan, Texas, USA | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best as I could tell, they pay the loan company up to $2500 dollars per year, so if I took that for the next two years and then moved and did not prosecute for the state, I would then owe the government $5000 in addition to the loans that I already owe. I don't think they pay the monthly for you, I think they pay the loan company while we continue to pay the IBR rate.

I could be wrong about that--it seems a little confusing, but I'm worried about what that exactly does mean.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some how I've compltely missed the loan repayment program application.

Where is this information at?

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I did a graduate payment for the first couple of years...now I pay the same amount until I die. Is that income sensitive?
This stuff is super confusing.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So... the idea is that, if approved, the loan company gets a one-time payment per year of up to $2,500? Am I still looking at making monthly payments then - just with a lower balance?

Posts: 114 | Location: Bryan, Texas, USA | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, David, I think that's how it works. You still make monthly payments. It just gets paid down quicker.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is pretty simple why I don't apply. The income is taxable so I pay more taxes. I'm on income based repayment so since my income goes up, my payments go up but I don't receive anymore money to pay the higher payments because the money goes directly to the lender. With public service loan forgiveness in 8 years my balance will be forgiven anyway assuming I stay a prosecutor. It is basically a useless program unless you make a lot of money and have a low loan balance.

Posts: 22 | Registered: September 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shannon, what was the final number of applicants?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Per the THECB, the finally tally was 92 applications from public defenders and 264 from prosecutors (with a few stragglers possibly still coming in the mail if they were postmarked by the deadline.)

More than half of the applications were received in the final week of the 7-week application period. No one can procrastinate like lawyers! Wink

posted Hide Post
Any idea what the application process will be like this year?

I also heard that the payouts may be smaller.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We haven't heard anything official, but based on the projected decrease in federal funding for the JRJ Program, next year's award is likely to be around $1000 (rather than the $2500 awarded in the first year).

We also don't have any information about how many of last year's recipients are dropping out and creating new openings.

posted Hide Post
Hi,
Thanks for posting such nice information. It is really helpful for me. I truly appreciate your effort to make this post.

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post