TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Other    It is past time for a change to these user forums
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It is past time for a change to these user forums Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
You know, if we had "likes," it would give the millenial prosecutors something to click on while they bump down the hallways playing with their phones...

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there's a saying about people in glass courthouses shouldn't throw stones, Mr. Phone Addict. Wink

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The forum is invaluable! Let's keep it!

Dan LaBruyere
Assistant Criminal District Attorney
Hays County

Posts: 9 | Location: Hays County | Registered: May 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some numbers to consider.

Days since original post: 64
Responses: 22
Unique users who responded: 16
Average number of historical posts per user who responded: 1,400
Median number of historical posts among users who responded: 742

This is math by lawyer, so consider accordingly. But the numbers seem to support that this forum is little used, and used primarily by a core following.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
That's pretty good figurin' for a lahw-yer. (And consistent with the official monthly figures we get.)

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that this forum is no doubt used by a core following, but the discussions had on the forum are later had in our respective offices and benefit those offices on the whole, even if it appears that only a mere handful of individuals are actually using the forum.

As someone that started out in a very small office, I can further tell you that this forum allowed me access to the ideas and opinions of many experienced prosecutors, which isn't something I would have had otherwise. Is this necessary for the prosecutors in counties like Harris and Dallas? Probably not - those counties have entire armies of lawyers with experience who can advise and steer newer prosecutors. But for the guy fresh out of law school seeking justice in a small county with few mentors, this forum is a valuable tool that helps ensure equal access to competent prosecution for the citizens of this State - regardless of what county those citizens happen to find themselves in.

I'm lucky now to find myself in a county where there are many fantastic prosecutors with tons of great experience to draw upon and if I encounter a novel situation, chances are, there's someone here who has already dealt with it and knows how to proceed. However, there are a lot of prosecutors throughout the State that aren't similarly situated. This forum is the most effective tool that prosecutors like that have for getting the answers to questions that Westlaw or the CCP don't contain.

Dan LaBruyere
Assistant Criminal District Attorney
Hays County

Posts: 9 | Location: Hays County | Registered: May 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I can't even express how important these forums were for me when I was a first time felony prosecutor with one assistant and very little experience.

I still lurk about once a month.

video game companies have up to date forums with all sorts of features which still bring in lots of the youngin's to participate and chat.

Look at Discord as an example of a functioning but modern forum.

Also, Gearbox runs a great one for their line of video games.

All very modern, have apps to access, etc. (which brings the younger users to participate.)

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eh, meant "one other assistant DA" in the office.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post