TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Other    It is past time for a change to these user forums
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It is past time for a change to these user forums Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
Dear TDCAA forum users:

We are considering replacing this forum with new and improved options for communication between our members. The number of active forum users and forum posts has decreased precipitously over the past few years, so it is time to explore new options in this regard. We recognize that these types of online communities still serve a purpose, but we're not sure that a message board is the best mechanism for achieving that purpose.

With that in mind, we want to solicit input from you, our forum users, on what you would like to see replace this forum. We are currently accepting referrals and recommendations as we explore other, more modern options, so if you know of or use another online community forum that you particularly like, let us know by means of a reply below and we will check it out.

Thanks for your help,
TDCAA HQ

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shannon Edmonds,

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shannon - yes, use has dropped off considerably. BUT - these user forums are where I go when I need a quick answer, general guidance, or have some novel (to me!) issue come up that another user knows just what the answer is. I don't really use any other message exchange forum. If these forums go away, maybe include a link to popular forums on the home page? Maybe reduce the number of categories (criminal, civil, other?) Thanks for all your work in making life as a prosecutor easier!

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Larry this is always my first stop for quick answers and "am I the only one" questions. And while the number of posts may be reduced, I receive emails from ADAs that have seen an old post and asked me for a form or just have a question on something I have posted on before. I have other groups that use a listserv or have a FB group, but this site is by far the easiest to search issues and connect with others.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with Larry and Stacey!

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often don't post because the bank has my answer. I search more often than I post a question. This forum has been a great blessing for me in the past years.

Posts: 169 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would hate to lose the forum, but due to their public nature and some issues as a result of that, have become extremely circumspect about comments.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with Lisa, search more than post, find many answers.

The public nature of the forums, though, is offputting (is that even a word?).

I know that our local defense bar cruises the forum hoping to pick up on what we might discuss.

Posts: 37 | Location: Dumas, Texas, USA | Registered: April 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the problem is people spend so much energy posting cat pictures on Facebook they have no time left for substantive legal arguments on TDCAA. I still use it to post questions from time to time. I would hate to see it go because I don't think Twitter or Facebook will give us the same reach if we need a transcript for the defense expert of the day. Could it be turned into a moderated FAQ similar to the DWI resource page?

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an example...under the "other" category there is a question about personnel policies and employees running against their elected. A person whose profile shows to be a teacher from London wants more info.

The answer on something like this can be REALLY charged...and there can be some blowback on those who stick their necks out and answer.

I really LIKE the forums, I enjoy the interplay and appreciate the ideas. I do not like being exposed to trouble on other fronts from my answers of questions.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I know is that I will shed a tear in my beer if we lose "A Frog is a Deadly Weapon."

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. A few responses at this point:

1) If we go with another platform, we would close and archive this forum to keep it available for research purposes; the Frog is a Deadly Weapon thread must be preserved for posterity. (Speaking of which, I'm going to add something to it right now!)

2) We are looking at revamping the DWI resource page as well to make it more searchable and user-friendly

3) The public nature of the forums has been a source of complaint in the past, but we keep it open for a variety of reasons, including:
  • We tried a password-protected private forum once before but people kept forgetting their access code and/or no one used it;
  • We don't have the bandwidth as staff to actively monitor a private forum; and
  • Nothing is ever really private on the internet, and we aren't eager to create a medium that would give anyone a false sense of privacy or which could become a subject of a discovery request or similar litigation.

These are all good comments, friends--keep 'em coming!

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just an echo of prior comments. I now use this almost exclusively as a library, not an interactive forum. That's a credit to the knowledge base that is has created. I'm not sure how you continue the concept in another form.

One more thing: I can't believe I've been registered on here for almost 17 years!!!!! The interwebs aren't even supposed to be that old. Eek

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only a few will get it, but:

Exit Only

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.P. Merillat:

Exit Only

Cool

(See, this forum is so old that there isn't even a way to "like" those last two posts.)

posted Hide Post
quote:

Exit Only

I got it. To the dulcet tones of a banjo.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Brumley:
quote:

Exit Only

I got it. To the dulcet tones of a banjo.

...and the haunting rhythm of the Djembe.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One problem is the posting numbers of Scott B and myself. Scott B only has 1231 and I've got about twice that number, yet I'm easily half as smart as Scott B.

Also, since Newell got elected Judge, well, some things just will never be the same regarding the forum and the Texas Prosecutor. We'll always have his lectures...

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I'm bumping this back to the top to get more input in the new year ...

posted Hide Post
I was one of the very first persons to sign up to participate in the forum. I thought it was likely a phenomenal way to get advice from more experienced practitioners and just a good place to mention unusual or developing topics that might impact prosecutors (not to forget fun things like frogs, blackbirds, cowabboration, banjos, or cow paddy events). Since my interest has always been focused on legal research and writing, the forum served as another place to play, without having to satisfy any judge or boss or cop or voter.

For a few years now, I have been out of the Texas prosecution business, but have still enjoyed monitoring the forum. As an “outsider,” I have continued to provide information in good faith when I deemed my participation likely to help and always with the intent of assisting in furthering valid prosecutorial desires.

I am not sophisticated enough to know what other “more modern” options are available to accomplish the goals of the forum. I would only say that I hope whatever format or type access is used, it will still be available to all interested persons, whether active in prosecution or not. I would have no problem with some sort of screening or exclusion to occur, as long as I am not shunned.

I am not sure why interest in the forum has waned. Many posts have always gone unanswered (including a fair number of mine). I am sure some have gotten bad or untimely advice or attention that they did not desire. If there is a way to ameliorate that sort of thing, then it is likely time to change.

Some of the privacy issues were mentioned before. Passwords?

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's blame the Millennials.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post