TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Other    Losing Streak
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Losing Streak Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone else ever had a losing streak? For 10 years it was like a winning streak with a loss here and there. Now.....losing streak. Granted, I will try tough/close cases, but a couple of these were not even close in my opinion. How did you get past your losing streak (assuming I'm not the only one who has ever had one)? And how did you deal with it during the streak? Thank you much!!

Posts: 22 | Registered: September 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I transferred to the appellate section. That might not work for everyone. Wink

Just try to keep your confidence up. Everything goes in cycles, and you'll be back to your winning streak soon. It's only when you start getting convinced that you can't win any cases that it becomes true.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This wasn't a losing streak, but it sure felt like one. I'd just passed my one year anniversary as a baby prosecutor and I was zooming along, thinking I was hot stuff when I hit the sophomore slump wall. All of a sudden, I could not finish a trial without a mistrial. I had 6, yes 6 mistrials in a row. On two defendants, we mistried the cases twice. The streak lasted for just over 4 months and encompassed just about every way you can mistry a case - hung jury, witness blurting out extraneous offenses, disqualified jurors, jurors "remembering" that they couldn't be fair after being in the box, and even a defendant suicide in the middle of a 2 defendant trial.
On the bright side, when I left that office,I received a lovely plaque commemorating my 8 total mistrials in less than 3 years!

I guess all I can say is to keep your chin up. It will pass.

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Andrea and Lisa -
I know it will pass, but just not soon enough. : ) I would love to try appeals, but there are no openings at the moment (and none expected in the near future).... Thank you again for your words of encouragement. Greatly Appreciated!!
JP

Posts: 22 | Registered: September 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post