TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Other    military service
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

military service Login/Join 
posted
I've heard of a few folks either joining the military or being called up to serve. If there's anybody in your office who's shipping out, please let me know. I'd like to run a list of these peeps in the next Prosecutor.

Much thanks.

Posts: 41 | Location: Austin, TX USA | Registered: January 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Uh, for those of you who aren't as "hip" as Sarah, our new Communications Director, I thought I'd interpret:

"peeps" = people.

Carry on.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eep! Yeah, sorry about "peeps." Sometimes I'll need a translator so y'all understand my Iowa-speak. (It'll be a while before I talk totally Texan. But I'm tryin'.)

Posts: 41 | Location: Austin, TX USA | Registered: January 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To make yourself understood north of Missouri and south of Minnesota, use lots of "yeah, sure" and "you guys" in your speech. (Iowa class of '88 and '92).

Posts: 5 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: December 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would I ever want to make myself understood north of Missouri and south of Minnesota? I think peeps is probably a young thing too. I hear my born in Texas kids use the phrase.

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in my day, a peeper was not a good thing.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, Shannon, now how about some assistance on the word "eep"?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill Sowder, the elected DA from Lubbock, has been called up for active duty. He could be gone for up to 1 year. Another attorney from that office has also been called up, but I do not know his name.

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rob Moore, an assistant district attorney in our office at the Camreon County District Attorney's Office in Brownsville just got back from Ft. Lee, Virginia from the Officer Basic Course as he is a Judge Advocate in the United States Army Reserves. So far no word as to if and when he will see active duty.

Posts: 9 | Location: Brownsville, Texas | Registered: September 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Doug O'Connell w/ the Travis Co. DA's office just returned from a year's stint overseas w/ the Army Reserves.

As for "eep," I cannot translate. Come to think of it, I hear a lot of odd noises coming from Sarah's office down the hall that I can't decipher ...

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray:
Why would I ever want to make myself understood north of Missouri and south of Minnesota? I think peeps is probably a young thing too. I hear my born in Texas kids use the phrase.

You might need to stop for gas, or something.

Posts: 5 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: December 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please self-service doesn't exist up there. I don't want to go then.

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iowa's not too bad a place. Pella, Iowa, has a beautiful tulip festival every spring. Newton, Iowa, (hometown to the Maytag Corp. and where I prosecuted in 1998 before returning to my senses and coming back to Texas) has a neat old courthouse and a great community. Iowa also has some of the best public schools in the country.

But even with all that, it still ain't Texas - where anything within a 2 hour drive is "right down the road" and you can find good BEEF bar-b-q.

Posts: 218 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just used the word "hornswoggled" in a closing argument. Do they say that in Iowa, Sarah?

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in Kuwait, waiting to go to Baghdad, as a staff member of the Office of Reconstruction and Humanitarian Assistance. I'm an Army JAG and Civil Affairs officer. Will be here, according to orders, 365 days to two years. Lots of sand here, but everyone seems very friendly.

(Alumi member, formerly with the Brazos County DA's, and before that CA's offices)

posted Hide Post
Not only is Brad Clark serving the country in Kuwait right now but he's also from Iowa so he can speak Iowa-speak and Texan.

Posts: 55 | Location: College Station, TX, USA | Registered: January 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Hubert from our Kleberg County Office (105th Judicial District) in Kingsville is being deployed to the Phillipines from April 23-May 11.

Posts: 13 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I spoke too soon on my buddy Doug O'Connell (Travis Co. ADA & Special Asst. USA) - he got called up (again) and is heading back to Northern Iraq, so add him to the list, Sarah.

Or should I say, "Add him to the list, eh?"

posted Hide Post
One of our assistants, Wade Overstreet, is in Kuwait with a civil affairs division attached to the 101st Airborne ("Screaming Eagles").

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bob Cole>
posted
I was activated to the Air Force JAG for about 18 months. I worked in Wood County for Mark Taylor and now work for Joe Black in Harrison County.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post