TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Unable to determine if ten years old at time of offense
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unable to determine if ten years old at time of offense Login/Join 
posted
I have a case that involves a victim that does not remember exactly when the crime happened, but can give a ballpark figure. The juvenile who did it turned ten years old during this window of time. Although the juvenile is very young, I do not think that this in an appropriate case for a deferred. Is the issue of age simply a question of fact for the jury to decide, or is it jurisdictional?

Posts: 30 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think minimum age is jurisdictional. See section 51.042.
Dawson has a pretty good discussion of this issue in the TJPC juvenile book but I don't think any of the cases he sites are directly on point to your issue.
I do know in Ft. Bend Co. we had a least one case tossed by the Judge because our proof on that issue was insufficient (I still love ya Bob !).

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post