TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    6th Amendment right to counsel on subsequent offense
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6th Amendment right to counsel on subsequent offense Login/Join 
posted
Juvenile detained for one offense and has attorney appointed.

Later, law enforcement discovered he was involved in a separate offense while still in detention on new offense.

Law enforcement interview a second time for the new unrelated offense. Do they need to contact his attorney before the interview?

6th Amendment right to counsel is case specific as in adult court or is it different for juveniles?

Posts: 128 | Location: TX | Registered: March 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that the safe route is to involve counsel. Juvenile law takes enough of a different track based on the perception of the child, that I think failure to involve the attorney could lead to issues on the appellate level.

A quick look is not showing me case law on this, which would make me even less comfortable leaving the child's attorney out of it.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lisa, if LEO were seeking a written statement (and the defense attorney actually allowed it), Sec. 51.09 FC and Sec. 51.095 FC would be still implicated - correct?

Posts: 4 | Location: Austin | Registered: October 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post