TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Restorative Justice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restorative Justice Login/Join 
posted
We are looking into the idea of a restorative justice program for juveniles.

If anyone has any info, resources, ideas, or battle stories, I'd appreciate it. My first question is how you get around the confidentiality requirements of the family code?

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What exactly do you mean by "restorative justice"? Tell about your proposed program and maybe it would be easier to answer your question.

If your proposal is something like - the court orders the child to pay restitution or to perform community service as a condition of probation or deferred prosecution - then there is no confidentiality problem because it is covered in the statute.

Posts: 113 | Location: Houston, Texas,USA | Registered: October 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suzanne,

This is a break-out topic for the 20th Annual Robert O. Dawson Juvenile Law Institute, scheduled Feb 22 - 24, 2007 in Houston, Texas. Pam Sigman, a UT prof, is speaking on the topic. I can email you a flyer and/or Pam's contact info. I am also aware of county's who use Victim-Offender Mediation to resolve juvenile cases that sounds remarkably like Restorative Justice. Drop me a line. sp

Posts: 24 | Location: Austin, Tx, USA | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops. My email address is old. Better go back to the old days...512-936-6406. sp

Posts: 24 | Location: Austin, Tx, USA | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was already scheduled for the conference and I heard the presentation....I asked her afterward about the confidentiality--thanks for directing me to the right person!

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post