TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Redacting names of juveniles in case reports
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redacting names of juveniles in case reports Login/Join 
posted
I know very little about juvenile law, so I thought I would ask those who do know. I am with DPS. Normally, when filing case reports with Austin, names of juvenile defendnants are redacted. Is it necessary to redact the name of juvenile who is witness in a case (in this one, two juveniles who were passengers in a vehicle in which 30# of pot was seized; not defendants)??

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Janette Ansolabehere

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The confidentiality rules in the Family Code protect only Juveniles who are charged with offenses. I think you can treat all witnesses the same whether they are adults or juveniles.

Posts: 113 | Location: Houston, Texas,USA | Registered: October 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I couldn't see how the confidentiality provisions would apply to a witness, but I readily admit my lack of knowledge of the nuances of juvenile law.

Janette Ansolabehere

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post