TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Juvenile Confidentiality
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Juvenile Confidentiality Login/Join 
posted
The statutes on confidentiality sound very strict. My question is....what information can be released? Can facts or statistics be released as long as no names are mentioned? I would like for our community to be more aware of the crimes committed by local teens, including some serious sexual offenses, but do not want to go afoul of these rules. If I am asked can I answer questions about the facts and details about the adjudication/disposition as long as I don't state the name? What if a victim's parents are asking me details about the disposition/sex offender registration, etc.--how much can be disclosed? The other issue is that we are a relatively small town, so identities are hard to keep secret even if the court and prosecutor try to keep them confidential.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not much guidance in case law, so you are basically left with the statute. I tend to be VERY cautious in this area because the statute does seem to be so strict and because of the AG position in the Public Information Handbook.

I don't think you can answer any "fact" related issues except as directed by 58.007 or with the juvi court permission, even to victims. I think you can tell the victim if the respondent has to register as a sex offender since that is going to be "public" information. I encourage the victims to go to the court hearings to get the details of the adj/dispo. I've heard other prosecutors say that if it happens in open court then its OK to release but I'll let someone else test that theory !!

As far as releasing stats, I think I'd go to the juvi court and outline what I wanted to release and why and get a court order allowing you to release it, just to be on the safe side, after all the stats have to come from your "files" so technically they are going to be covered by 58.007. TJPC keeps some stats for individual counties that might be what you are looking for.

I have a powerpoint on this issue that I can email you and I know Kris Moore has a paper on it too.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please e-mail the powerpoint when you get a chance. My e-mail is suzanne.jost@co.kendall.tx.us. Thanks!

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post