TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Possession of Firearm by Felon?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possession of Firearm by Felon? Login/Join 
posted
One of my juveniles who is on probation for a felony charge was caught last night with a firearm. From what I have read in the Family Code (51.13), he can only be charged with UCW, not Felon in Possession of a Firearm.

Do you all agree? I don't deal with juveniles everyday, so I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks!

Posts: 50 | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are correct. The first langauage in Sec. 46.04(Unlawful Possession of a Firearm) of the Penal Code says "A person who has been CONVICTED (my emphasis)of a felony commits an offense if ...". Since a juvenile adjudication of delinquency is NOT a "CONVICTION", a juvenile cannot be charged under that statute. If the legislature had meant for them to be charged with that offense they could have said "conviction or adjudication" as they have in other statutes.

Posts: 113 | Location: Houston, Texas,USA | Registered: October 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch.

Posts: 50 | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post