TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Juvenile Law    Juvenile Restitution Payments
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Juvenile Restitution Payments Login/Join 
posted
I have a case where a juvenile was ordered to pay restitution by the juvenile court in his disposition hearing.

But the Family Code says that payments cannot continue past his 18th birthday. I know that we can file a Motion to Enforce within 6 months after his 18th birthday. That time has passed. Is there anyway to collect our restitution?

Any help is appreciated...Thanks

Posts: 64 | Location: Johnson County, Texas | Registered: May 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No way that I'm aware of unless the order for restitution included his parents.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Stacy. I would advise my victim that they could consult an attorney about filing a civil suit to get the rest of the restitution. Whoever ordered the restitution and/or agreed to it should have been aware of the law and either set the payments so that the restitution was paid by the time he was 18, or included his parents in the order so they would be ordered to pay when we lose jurisdiction of the kiddo.

Posts: 113 | Location: Houston, Texas,USA | Registered: October 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post