TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Investigators    Intoxilyzer Room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intoxilyzer Room Login/Join 
posted
We are considering moving into the 21st Century by upgrading to DVD's in our intoxilyzer room. I am looking for advice from anyone who has made the transition, especially in the area of keeping up with or distributing the blank DVD's. Thanks

Posts: 19 | Registered: June 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a "BIGGIE" -

Whatever DVD writer you choose to put in the intox room, get one just like it for your office as well. Those discs will need to be finalized and officers with drunks in tow sometimes do not finalize the disc causing your DVD person to be constantly running back to the room to insert the disc and have it finalized.

Other than that most of the consumer units work well depending on the number of arrests made. In real busy rooms I would look at a commercial unit but yours is probably similar to ours and a consumer unit works fine.

We've been doing this for a while and it works great, call me if you need anything else.

Todd

Posts: 61 | Location: Lubbock, Texas | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is failure to finalize a DVD evidence of intoxication?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope not! I've forgotten to finalize a bunch of them.............

Posts: 61 | Location: Lubbock, Texas | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider if your audio/video is burned straight to DVDs or if some type of computer software is required to view the scenes. We have had MANY issues with this - not only for allowing defense attorneys access/copies (and the ability to view their clients) as required by law, but also in presenting this evidence to juries and Judges.

We are currently dealing with 12 different digital formats (some CD, some DVD, some can play on a "normal" DVD player, some can only be played on a computer with appropriate software, etc.). Quite the pain!

The best option (not always an option) is for all agencies in the County to use the same type of equipment/vendor.

Posts: 115 | Location: Denton, TX, USA | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had so many issues on this subject that our commissioners court approved a new position in the DA's office to handle digital media. She not only is having to learn all about various formats, etc., but also is having to work with all the police agencies that have adopted technology that is not very easy to use, copy and edit. VHS, in hindsight, is looking pretty good.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I have solved the issue of distributing the DVDs. I contacted a company in Dallas that manufactures DVD rental kiosks. They are getting me a desktop model. When an officer needs a DVD he will swipe his TXDL (every officer should have one) just as he would a credit card, and the machine will give him one DVD for each time he swipes his DL. I can then occasionally print a report and see who is getting the DVDs and how many. This I hope will prevent the DVDs from "walking away". Now if we can just solve the "Remembering to Finalize Issue."

Posts: 19 | Registered: June 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post