TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Blowout
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blowout Login/Join 
posted
We are only a little over 2 months from the summer recess and the US Sup Ct has issued only 23 opinions. We are either about to see a lot of law made in a short time or one of the lowest outputs from the high court in recent history.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given the last few years, maybe the less the better.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the lowest outputs. By my count 66 signed opinions (not counting those deciding companion cases more than once) and two per curiam opinions.
Interestingly the workload was well distributed. Kennedy, Thomas, Scalia, Roberts, and Breyer 8 cases each; Souter, Ginsberg, and Alito 7 each. But, Stevens only 5. Also of note, the lower court was affirmed in 19 cases (but not in any of the opinions authored by Kennedy).

posted Hide Post
So, even working my hardest, I write one opinion a month and take the other four months off. Do I have this right? And I get lifetime appointment. Sweeeet.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But your clerks have to review almost 10,000 petitions and you have to read all those reports.

posted Hide Post
The folks on ScotusBlog make an interesting point -- AMK was in the majority in every 5-4 or 5-3 case decided this term. They also note that his term bested even the great SOC in her most successful term as the "swing vote." http://www.scotusblog.com/movabletype/archives/2007/06/justice_kennedy_1.html

They also have what is any SC wonk's, uh, dream in the Super Stat Pack, at http://www.scotusblog.com/movabletype/archives/2007/06/ot06_the_statis.html.

And, yes, I have forgotten how to tag html links.

Cory

Posts: 11 | Location: Dallas County | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post