TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Legal Writing Seminars
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal Writing Seminars Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have any experience with the Bryan Garner Legal Writing seminars that are offered around the country...it is an area I would very much like to improve but the seminars are a little pricy for a small rural county like ours...anybody have any thoughts about that???

Posts: 130 | Location: Hempstead, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think our entire appellate section has been to one of his seminars at one time or another. I think they're valuable. He gives very good practical, common sense advice. Some of his pet issues I disagree with, like his footnote stance, but overall I think it's very helpful.

He has a book about persuading judges cowritten with Scalia coming out soon. I'm looking forward to looking at that one.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just so you know the CLE has been approved - just under "the winning brieg" - typo error. I took it to my boss so I could go, but LawProse had just sent the application in last week. I finally found it on the State Bar website. I am hoping that I can go to the Dallas seminar.

Posts: 419 | Location: Abilene, TX USA | Registered: December 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have sent all the appellate atttorenys I have worked with to one or other of the LawProse legal writing seminars. BG does have some excellent suggestions and has brought together the techniques of most of the serious contributors in the field of legal writing and writing in general. You do not have to agree with all he recommends, and you probably won't, but he gets writers thinking and many find his courses are re-invigorating. Except for the courses offered by TDCAA and NDAA, I don't know anything else that is as good.

BTW. I thought the new book by BG and Justice Scalia looked so good, our office just ordered a copy.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post