TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Question re: Appeal Filed Where Right to Appeal Waived
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question re: Appeal Filed Where Right to Appeal Waived Login/Join 
posted
I've got two cases right now that came from open pleas with a cap and sentencing hearings. In each case, the defendant was sentenced under the cap *and* waived right to appeal. However, the appellate attorney has filed appeal in both cases. Can I stop these before we get to the brief writing phase or do I just have to argue lack of jurisdiction in the brief? I wanted to try to get a hold of a staff attorney at the 3rd CoA to ask, but I don't know whether that's proper so I'm assuming it's not. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 4 | Registered: November 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
File a motion to dismiss the appeal for lack of jurisdiction because he waived appeal. Attach a certified copy of written waiver or cite to same in the clerk's record.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What does the Rule 25.2(d) certification say? It could likely be mentioned in the motion as a basis for dismissal. E.g., Walker v. State , No. 10-16-00275-CR (Tex. App.-Waco 9/21/16). If it is in error, then you may need to rely on Barcenas , 137 S.W.3d at 866.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Martin Peterson,

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post