TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    CCA procedures
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCA procedures Login/Join 
posted
It's been a while since I've argued in the Court of Criminal Appeals, and I've received a notice new to me: "If oral argument is desired, a party must include in this notice which points of error will be argued."

Should I pick out Appellant's strongest points to argue against, thus identifying them as strong points? (He doesn't have any.)

Should I list all the points of error?

Should I list my strongest points, thus wasting the court's time arguing slam-dunk issues?

The reason I want oral argument is to slap down whatever idiotic arguments appellant tries to make. Can I say in my notice, "I'll argue whatever Appellant argues" ?

Posts: 14 | Location: Palestine, Texas, USA | Registered: March 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can I say in my notice, "I'll argue whatever Appellant argues" ?

I think I've done that before, and it seems appropriate.

Posts: 143 | Location: Fort Worth | Registered: August 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the operative portion from my last letter:

As Appellee, the State intends to argue the points of error argued by Appellant. Furthermore, time permitting, the State will present additional argument on points of error 6 and 7.

My additional argument was a request that they clarify some contradictory case law.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post