TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Number of Briefs for 13th Court of Appeals
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Number of Briefs for 13th Court of Appeals Login/Join 
posted
For all you other ink stained wretches, slaving over appellate briefs in the 13th Court of Appeals area. They now require the original and five copies. I just got the card today. Rule went into effect on 4-12-04. (I couldn't find the change on their web site. I figure I might be the 10%.)

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. We have not received any notification of the change. Even though our office is just across the street from the Court's Edinburg office, we have had some problems of late with delivery of both snail mail and Case Mail.
I assume the new rule applies to motions and other documents as well as briefs--??
Thanks again for the tip.

Amy Alaniz
ACDA, Hidalgo County

Posts: 23 | Location: Hidalgo County | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called the court in Edinburgh and talked to three people who did not know about the change either. The last person verified it with someone else and told me the change went into effect 4-12-04. I will assume that it applies to everything.

quote:
An original and three copies of briefs, motions, or any other papers directed to this Court shall be filed, unless otherwise requested by this Court.
(Local rules, II. General Provisions.) Of course, the web site still says original and three copies. Smile

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new rule actually makes a lot of sense, given the dual offices of the court.

I will pass this info on to two fellow ink-stained wretches in this office who are filing some motions today . . . I think you saved them an extra trip across the street this afternoon. Given that both courthouse elevators will probably be out of service by then, & we are on the 4th floor, you've saved them a lot of wear and tear!

Posts: 23 | Location: Hidalgo County | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently spoke to the clerk in Corpus Christi, who informed me that the new rules are actually a default to the TRAPs, since the 13th CoA has now unofficially suspended its local rules. This means that you file an original and five copies of briefs, but an original and only two copies of motions. If in doubt, just look to the TRAPs and not to the local rules.

Posts: 33 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texaas | Registered: February 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post