TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    Phantom Right of Appeal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phantom Right of Appeal Login/Join 
posted
One has to wonder why the State is given the right to "cross-appeal" from a trial court error if (to avoid an advisory opinion) the error will be discussed only in the event a new trial is awarded to the defendant. Kind of makes any objections raised by the State during trial pointless (although I guess you might have success in convincing the trial judge to avoid the error). Theoretically, if the error proves harmful, you still do not get any appellate review (since it will have resulted in an undeserved acquittal). But, that's the way it is.Seghelmeble

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While it is frustrating to miss an opportunity for appellate review, appellate courts have long a avoided reviewing issues that are not diapositive. Can't say I blame them. No mistake if no opinion.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seghelmeble, 390 S.W.3d at 583-83 still stands. But I continue to believe there is a basis for review. Perhaps someone else might have better luck on this issue at some point, so I provide anyone interested with the arguments I concocted.

Word DocSeghelmeble.docx (22 Kb, 2 downloads)

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post