TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    can clerk charge state for appellate fees in juvenile case?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can clerk charge state for appellate fees in juvenile case? Login/Join 
posted
I am responding to an appeal from a juvenile conviction and the case was transferred to Waco where the clerk is attempting demanding that I pay a filing fee for my motion to extension to file State's brief. Can he do this? I thought the State was exempt from paying these fees and the San Antonio court of appeals has never charged the State these fees. Any thoughts?

Posts: 1 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Fort Worth charges us fees in juvenile cases. That was something we had hoped to get fixed in the 2007 juvenile bill. That bill seems to have collapsed with the departure of Rep. Toby Goodman.

As for the authority to charge a fee you should look at TRAP 5 (Fees in Civil Cases).

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a provision in the family code that exempts the state from filing fees in CPS cases, but I don't know if it applies in juvie cases. Dallas COA was on again off again for several years on that.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This bill should fix this problem if it passes.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB02884I.HTM (see proposed 51.17(i))

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post