TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Publication Updates    Vote for the next TDCAA publication
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vote for the next TDCAA publication Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Some in my office already have speculated that the employment law book will be a work of fiction. I plan to fire them on January 2.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken, thanks a bunch. I have a great job!

Although today, when I'm struggling to write a section of the "traffic stops" book on geographic jurisdiction of municipal officers & authority to make stops, it all seems fictional.

Cookbooks, anyone??

Posts: 115 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: November 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a defense attorney in court this week who was carrying a copy of Richard Alpert's book on DWI Investigation and Prosecution. He said he picked it up at a seminar on DWI defense.

Posts: 106 | Location: Uvalde, Texas | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, quite a few defense attorneys buy our publications, and we're happy for the sales and the exposure. We want everyone in the criminal justice world to feel like they can't live without our latest publication. That's one of the reasons we try to keep the tone and the advice even-handed in all of our publications. Some of the sales come through law school book stores, which buy (and stock) our books for classes. (One book store in San Antonio routinely buys some of everything we sell and resells at legal seminars around the state.)

Posts: 115 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: November 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Diane Beckham:
That's one of the reasons we try to keep the tone and the advice even-handed in all of our publications.
Oops. I'll try better next time. Wink

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diane, if you are searching for an agency to co-publish an update on this, you might contact Larry Gray at Texas and Southwest Cattle Raisers, or Gene Snelson, who is general counsel at the Animal Health Commission

Posts: 9 | Location: Wheeler, Texas | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Leslie! I'll give them a call. We continue to be amazed by the number of requests we get for the livestock law update.

posted Hide Post
There was mention in this thread of the potential for a new TDCAA book on juveniles. Is this in the works, completed, on hold . . .

Posts: 77 | Location: Montgomery County, Texas | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the works and getting really close. The chapters are about 3/4 done right now. We should have a book printed and ready to sell by early May, if not before.

Any specific subjects you'd like to see covered in that juvenile book?

posted Hide Post
I have wanted TDCAA to do a book on juvenile law for quite awhile. Can't help but also wish we would get into education on that subject. I attend the annual seminar put on by the Juv Law Section, and get really weary of the prosecutor bashing.............. Mad

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
any breaking news on the juvenile book that has been in the works?

Posts: 77 | Location: Montgomery County, Texas | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were ready to go with the book at the beginning of May but decided it would be kind of crazy to publish that close to legislative updates. So the authors have been digesting the changes made by HB 1575 and other bills to incorporate any changes into the existing manuscript. As soon as I get the PC/CCP books to the printer (late this week/early next), we'll turn back to getting the juvenile book ready to go.

That's the long story to say, should be out by early August.

posted Hide Post
Hi Diane! I'm sure Gene Snelson and I could put together a dynamite livestock and wildlife law book. If there is enough interest.

Posts: 245 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would you include a chapter on noodling?

It seems some of my neighbors on the other side of the building (which mean's they're technically in the state of Arkansas) could use a good treatise on the subject.

Besides, it would make fun reading for A.P.

Posts: 218 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you ever considered a drug treatment buddy? We are talking serious things here and maybe you thought that fiction stories ar funny... Let me tell you a fiction story, but the amazing part is that the fiction part is real: a drug addict on heroine does not have money to buy his daily dose and strangles a high-school student with the hope to get some money... Is it fiction enough for you?

Posts: 1 | Location: Iasi, Romania | Registered: October 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was that our first international poster?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost surely our first Romanian psychologist.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, probably not our first international - seems like I remember someone from Louisiana and maybe even as far remote as Splendora, writing here a time or two. But it does take a village.
Exit only.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any updates on the juvenile book? Given the bent of the state bar juvenile CLE mentioned above, the lack of an unpdated dawson book, and the lack of definitive juvenile authority in general, the TDCAA volume would prove helpful to alot of us.

Posts: 79 | Location: Williamson County | Registered: August 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, the new edition of the Dawson book is out. Chris Hubner, the co-author of TDCAA's juvenile book, has taken over updating of Prof. Dawson's book for TJPC. The 7th edition was published in August 2008. Meanwhile, though, we are working on updating TDCAA's juvenile book, which is geared more toward prosecutors than the Dawson manual. We hope to have it finished in early 2009.