TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Publication Updates    Expanded Transportation Code
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Expanded Transportation Code Login/Join

posted
After the 2009 session, we're going to expand the Annotated Transportation Code book that TDCAA puts out, and I'd like your input.

Currently, the book has all the Trans Code crimes and license suspension statutes with annotations and a few charts. I don't think we'd be able to squeeze the whole Trans Code into a single volume with annotations, but we can sure add more statutes than we have now. (For instance, I'm pretty sure we could all live without the railroad stuff, other than the related crimes.)

But what else would you like to see in there that isn't in there now? (Chapters or statutes -- any information is helpful.) And if you get the chance, prosecutors please ask your police officers if they have ever seen our version of the book and what other statutes would be helpful for them.

I appreciate your help.

Posts: 115 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: November 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Diane,

How about some of the underlying traffic stop sections? Failure to maintain a single lane of traffic, proper stop sign etiquette, illuminating your license plate, and the other stuff that leads to the pc for a traffic stop?

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could you address application of Transportation Code 545.351. We have run into prosecutors and JPs who believe that 545.351 does not apply to a driver who is speeding and as a result, loses control of his or her vehicle and crashes without striking another vehicle or person (the typical single vehicle roll-over).

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diane -
Don't know about others, but a "quick reference" for those neat little reasons for a stop would be a huge help. It's amazing how many things we all KNOW are in the traffic laws...but then can't find. Examples - crossing the fog line, dimming brights to oncoming traffic, and so forth.

Trucking law drives me to the Dr. Pepper machine pretty often, too. Trying to figure out what is and is not overweight is a nightmare. Clarification from someone with your abilities would be appreciated!

Lisa

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are great ideas -- thanks so much! I'll look for annotation opportunities for the statutes you've mentioned that are in the book already and keep scouring for the ones that have anything to do with traffic (as opposed to railroads).

Posts: 115 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: November 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post