TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Publication Updates    Victim's Assistance Manual
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Victim's Assistance Manual Login/Join

posted
Manual for Victim's Coordinators?

Just pulled up the "Buy a Book" pdf order form after reading this thread, and my vision must just be shot after reading tons of defense motions this week -- I didn't see a Victim's Assistance manual on the order form, only brochures for victims. We have a new V.A. coordinator to handle protective orders, etc., and need to locate references, procedures, training.

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 2nd edition of the Victim's Assistance Manual was completed and sent individually to all designated victim-witness coordinators at prosecutor offices in late October 2007. The Court of Criminal Appeals provided the funding for this book, but because we used grant funding to publish the book, the distribution is limited to the pool of VWCs that work for Texas prosecutor offices. In other words, this was a one-time mailout to all eligible people on the date of the mailout. We don't print a large number of extra copies to sell, and that's why it doesn't appear on the order form. (This is similar to the way TDCAA has sent out John Bradley's book, "The Perfect Plea," and Chip Wilkinson's ethics book to Texas prosecutors.) Ideally, any VWC who leaves a prosecutor's office would leave behind the book for the next VWC. Because we know this doesn't always happen, we print a limited number of extra copies to take turnover into account.

If you (or any office) didn't receive a sufficient number of copies for your VWCs to use, please let me know and we'll send him/her a copy of the book for as long as we have extra copies to give. Also note that there is a CD-ROM with sample forms included with the book. VWCs are free to share this CD-ROM and load it onto multiple computers in the office.

Posts: 115 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: November 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read through the book. What an excellent job, Diane! How do you find time to do so many wonderful publications?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She uses an Apple laptop.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks Greg! And it's true -- I DO use an Apple laptop, which no doubt improves whatever efficiency I could conjure up on my own. Plus, the victim assistance book -- like so many others by TDCAA -- would be about four pages long without the invaluable contributions of so many TDCAA members.

Posts: 115 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: November 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post