TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Think About It
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Think About It Login/Join 
posted
One of the arguments for life without parole is that we wouldn't have to ever worry about a defendant getting out of prison. I don't buy it, and the special session showed me yet again that there are no absolutes in punishment, except the death penalty.

As part of a government consolidation bill, the Leg reduced the size of the Parole Board from 18 to 7 members. What does that have to do with early release?

A few years ago, the Leg made it much harder for a defendant to get out of prison for a capital murder life and for certain sex offenses. They required the Board to vote as a complete body (all 18 members) and made a 2/3rds vote necessary to approve parole. That meant 12 of 18 board members had to agree to parole. Now that there are only 7 members, the defendant only has to convince 5 members.

Now, that is better than 2 of 3 in a panel decision. But it aint as good as 12 of 18. And my point here is that the Leg did it with no debate. The special session just pushed it through. Where were the crime victims given a chance to raise their concerns?

So, ever so easily, the Leg, after promising it would always be 12 of 18, suddenly made it 5 of 7. The bottom line is that it is now easier for a murderer or rapist to get out of prison.

You can't ever convince me that a law that says life without parole will always mean that. When liberals want a change, or finances get tight, or prisons get overcrowded, that law will get changed, and promises will be broken.

By the way, there is no provision for letting a jury know about this change. Are you still for life without parole?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post