TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    I want to be a prosecutor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to be a prosecutor Login/Join 
posted
I am a third year law student, in the top 15% (hope to finish in top 10%) at one of the better Texas schools. Although I have an excellent clerkship lined up this summer with a large Dallas firm, I have always wanted to be a prosecutor. There is a slight discrepency in pay, but also in hours. Regardless, it is trial work (especially criminal) that has always inspired me.

Am I crazy? What are the prospects of a job? I am purposely NOT on mock trial team, but have taken or will take trial ad, criminal litigation, pre-trial litigation, and a D.A. externship.

I am an older student with a Master of Public Administration and some local government experience. (I know, I should look at city attorney)

Any advice on classes or extracuricular activities for my third year?

Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go back a few months there was another string on this topic that was called something like advice to law students.

Posts: 119 | Location: Chambers County Texas | Registered: March 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you leave your e-mail address, I'll send you some of my thoughts. Maybe others will too.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could give you my thoughts as well as to why I am a prosecutor and not an attorney for hire. If you'll send e-mail.

Maybe some of same past experiences as I was 13 years in law enforcement before, during and after law school. Also attended what I believe is best law school in Houston.

Posts: 145 | Location: Bryan/College Station | Registered: April 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray, did you mean the BEST LAW SCHOOL in Houston or the best law school IN HOUSTON? :-)

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He must have meant the best Houston law school because Baylor is in Waco.........

Posts: 276 | Location: Liberty County, Texas | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike, I couldn't agree more....Baylor '94.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, feels like we have a bunch of undergrads in the football stadium here. We all have the same bar card in our wallet and license on the wall.

I will say, though, no law school in the state could do a better job than South Texas at letting a full-time working slob with a family (like I was)have an equal chance at admission and then opportunities while attending.

hoooooooooooorahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Posts: 145 | Location: Bryan/College Station | Registered: April 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been busy with finals and have not been able to get back online.

My email is jsaint@myrealbox.com. Would love to hear any advice.

Posts: 2 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post