TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    The Bill Awards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Bill Awards Login/Join 
posted
Perhaps this is the time to begin nominations for Bill Awards. I would like to start it off with my nomination for Most Pointless Bill. Check out HB 653, which actually creates a license for someone that is learning to shampoo hair. Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps I should put my teenage son into this program.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have the bill number infront of me, but it is a state jail felony to perform surgery while intoxicated, the definition of "intoxicated" being that in Chapter 49 of the PC. However, unlike in mere driving where many others may be in danger, an additional element of the surgery offense is that there must be substantial risk of harm to the patient. So I guess that if the surgery is somehow successful, there is no crime. Also, an affirmative defense is if there is a legitimate emergency requiring immediate medical attention. I'd love to know the real-life event behind this bill passed by both houses and sent to the Governor. Confused

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post