Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DNA question Login/Join 
<Kevin Landtroop>
posted
APRI DNA Forensics Program is compiling data on admissibility of Y Chromosome Short Tandem Repeat (Y-STR) DNA evidence. I did an internet search (to find out what the heck that was), but could not find any instances of Texas courts admitting Y-STR DNA evidence. Is anyone aware of courts who have ruled (one way or another) on admissibility? (Sorry about all the initials--those of you with military experience should be following along effortlessly.)

(For those of you who are scientifically challenged like me, apparently Y-STR testing works when a relatively small amount of male DNA is mixed with, and masked by, a larger amount of female DNA. I guess it finds the Y-chromosome DNA molecules and magnifies them for analysis. One source claimed it works best during a full moon while someone plays a banjo in the background--I don't trust that one, but it all sounds pretty suspicious to me.)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask Diane Beckham to use the Daubert Tracker. She will know what that means.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call Clay Strange here in Austin. He'll actually know what you're talking about. Even though he's no longer with the DA's office and is working on the dark side, he's still my go-to guy for any and all obscure DNA questions.

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post