TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Reckless Boating
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reckless Boating Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone had any experience prosecuting someone for reckless boating? What was the reckless act? Any tips?

Posts: 1 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's reckless operation (class C), Excessive Speed (class C) and Reckless Operation and Excessive Speed (class B).

I would treat it the same as a prosecution for a 'Failure to control speed' traffic ticket.

The case we prosecuted in Granbury, TX involved a guy test running his raceboat, 'Riding on Rails' out in a cove on the lake near Skiers, swimmers, tubers, and people on Jetskis. We talked about 'fly-over' accidents, running high speed near people's homes and the fact that all of the defendant's safety precautions were to protect the driver, not the other people on the lake enjoying the day.

Give me a call if you want to chat. Potter County DA's office: (806) 379-2325. I'm not in trial this week or next, so it's a good time to catch me.

[edited because I'm a true genius and posted my cell phone number.]

[This message was edited by Philip D Ray on 10-13-06 at .]

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a pending case where an individual on a jet ski repeatedly cut in front of ski boats causing evasive action to avoid collision and then ended up "bumping" another jet ski.

Posts: 61 | Location: Kerrville, Tx | Registered: June 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post