TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Medical records filed as business records and HIPPA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medical records filed as business records and HIPPA Login/Join 
posted
I have a revocation case where we are seeking to revoke defendant for violating probation by ingesting narcotics. Defendant overdosed and his tox screen in his medical records shows he was positive for illegal drugs. I got records from hospital and want to file as business records. Question is do I have to do anything special with his records before I file them with the Clerk's office in light of HIPPA?

Posts: 2 | Location: Freestone County | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We file in a motion and order sealing the affidavit and records from public view due to the confidential nature of the information. Let me know if you need an example and I'll e-mail it to you.

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help Robert.

Posts: 2 | Location: Freestone County | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the earlier suggestion as 42CFR will provide more (potential) protections for the records than HIPAA, and the proposed process will circumvent attempts to prevent disclosure.

Posts: 264 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post