Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird Science Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
The Legislature's new crime lab accreditation law (found in CCP Art. 38.35) gives DPS the authority to exclude from accreditation "an examination or test excluded by [DPS] rule." DPS has posted its proposed rules for the accreditation of crime laboratories and other entities affected by this new law. Those rules (which can be accessed here: DPS Lab Rules (.pdf)) are in the public comment period right now. That means that YOU can have a say in the creation of the permanent rules.

DPS is attempting to identify not just those forensic disciplines which need to be accredited, but also those disciplines that do NOT need to be accredited. Specifically, I think they are willing to consider strange, uncommon, or unusual types of forensic or evidentiary analysis that are not the subject of accreditation by an existing national body. Those that are identified before the rules become permanent can be included now, which may prevent much courtroom deliberation and debate later.

If anyone wants to suggest a forensic discipline that should not be accredited, post it here or email it to me at edmonds@tdcaa.com and I will submit it to DPS through the rule comment process. There is no hard deadline, but the sooner, the better.

Shannon

(p.s. - credit for the clever title goes to John Rolater, who, come to think of it, bears a slight resemblance to "Wyatt" from that movie ... Smile )

[This message was edited by Shannon Edmonds on 08-26-03 at .]

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've ever been seen wearing a bra on my head. I don't know what you're talking about.

Anyway, I'm not seeing the resemblance:

[This message was edited by John Rolater on 08-27-03 at .]

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
John, I noticed you didn't say you've never worn a bra on your head, just that you've never been seen wearing one ... hmmmm ...

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least Shannon didn't liken you to Robert Downey, Jr.'s character.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dunno that it is that weird, but tire tread comparison seems like it might not be an accredited discipline.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shannon, could you just send DPS a tape of any CSI episode and tell them that's how we want it done? And, can I be transferred to Miami to work with the legendary David Caruso? Apparently, a cool pair of sunglasses is part of the standard issue.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*bump* Come on folks, this could come back to haunt you.