TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    DP in Travis County
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DP in Travis County Login/Join 
posted
A Travis County jury has decided that Areli Carbajal Escobar should die for the 2009 fatal stabbing and sexual assault of Bianca Maldonado, his 17-year-old neighbor. State District Judge Mike Lynch read the jury's punishment verdict, reached after about 2 1/2 hours of deliberations.

And that verdict came after the defense made this argument:

He argued that his client would not pose a threat of committing violence in prison, noting that Escobar is a small man whose previous violence came against women. He cited the testimony of a defense psychologist who side there is a 98.2% chance Escobar would not be violent.

He also argued that Escobar suffers from a mental illness - borderline personality disorder. He said that should be considered as reducing his moral blameworthiness.

And Brittain tried to convince the jury that life in prison would be hell for Escobar.

His co-counsel, Allan Williams, used his time before the jury to mount an overarching moral attack on the death penalty, quoting scripture at times.

"You are not killers," he said. "You are better than that."

Williams said almost all modern, industrialized nations have moved away from capital punishment, as have some states.

"I am pleading that we overcome cruelty with kindness that we overcome hatred with love," Williams said. "I know the future is on my side."

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post