TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    "Mental Retardation" is no more?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
"Mental Retardation" is no more? Login/Join 
Administrator
Member
posted
Or at least it soon will be. Not the diagnosis, mind you, but the term "mental retardation." The politically-correct term will now be "intellectual disability." Change your pleadings accordingly, I suppose.

What is of real interest, however, is the new definition of mental retard--oops, there I go! make that--intellectual disability being proposed by the APA in the next edition of the DSM-5. Specifically, a decreased focus upon IQ testing. How that will affect Atkins claims remains to be seen. For more information, read on:

http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevisions/Pages/proposedrevision.aspx?rid=384
 
Posts: 2412 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I still need to digest this a bit more, and maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but here's my gut reaction:

quote:
This should be measured with an individualized, standardized, culturally appropriate, psychometrically sound measure.


How can something be both "individualized" and "standardized?" What does "culturally appropriate" mean?

How will it impact Atkins claims? Well, I think the net may be getting a bit wider, but you're right - it remains to be seen how it plays out.
 
Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like the standard is just becoming much more subjective. It will be easier to diagnose MR under this standard, but also easier to attack such a diagnosis. In regard to Atkins, it appears that this standard will make these claims even more of a "battle of the experts" than they already are.
 
Posts: 293 | Registered: April 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Call me intellectually disabled (I think that fits), but why can't people leave the names of stuff (prisons, diseases, streets, countries) the same!
 
Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I still have not got over "community supervision" for "probation." As if the general population cared or needed to care. Since when did we need two words when one sufficed? It really irks me, but I suppose I am intellectually bamboozled too.
 
Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Does anyone remember the Tim Kazurinsky sketch from SNL where he played the medical correspondent Dr. Jack Badofsky on Weekend Update? Used to stay things like if you get warts in strange places its called herpes, but if you get it from a convenience store worker its called slurpees.
 
Posts: 118 | Location: Chambers County Texas | Registered: March 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
It seems like it would be difficult to prove someone was in the "lower 3%" of his "cultural group." How do we get the data on the other 97%? "Intellectual disability" is such a squishy term. I know several people who are intellectually disabled, but you would not consider to be mentally retarded. I agree that it is an effort to cast a wider net of people who will attempt to avoid responsibility for their crimes.
 
Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, Jane, you get to do an update on your book.
 
Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Texas Department of Corrections = Texas Department of Criminal Justice

Institution Division of TDCJ = Correctional Institutions Division

Secretary = Administrative Assistant


You're right, they always add an extra word!
 
Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    "Mental Retardation" is no more?

© TDCAA, 2001. All Rights Reserved.