TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Court Costs are Punitive?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Court Costs are Punitive? Login/Join 
posted
In the Third Court of Appeals, court costs are considered "punitive" and, therefore, must be announced orally at sentencing to be included in the judgment.
Read the opinion.

That's pretty poor reasoning. Sure hope Travis County takes that issue on PDR. Anyone else have this issue come up?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just read that opinion too. I didn't understand the argument that because costs are assessed only against convicted persons, they must be punitive. Since when did we assess court costs against the acquitted.?

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this is what happens when civil lawyers do criminal law.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought he was a pro-se burglar. Same thing?

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
this is what happens when civil lawyers do criminal law.

I think he's referring to the "robed lawyers" in that case. Wink

Posts: 2426 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got to stop being subtle.