TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Harris County's New Approach to 1st Time DWI's
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harris County's New Approach to 1st Time DWI's Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Good Grief, Charlie Brown. I mean Suzanne. You indeed did rise to the bait, didn't you? You think maybe what I said was a little tongue in cheek? I opened with a disclaimer, as it were, saying that I was biased and had preconceived notions about prosecutors and their devotion to justice. Which would be patently "sweepingly false", wouldn't they, seeing that they were biased and preconceived? You recognized that you were being baited and bit it anyway. Methinks. . well, you know .
More to the point, I realize the point has been debated. My admission that I was a "muggle" was not to imply that I was ignorant of the issue. I don't do TNT. I get all my news from Rush Limbaugh and Shawn Hannity and Bill O'Reilly. And blogs like this. Don't like spin.

Posts: 26 | Location: Levelland, TX 79336 | Registered: January 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[...] I get all my news from Rush Limbaugh and Shawn Hannity and Bill O'Reilly. And blogs like this. Don't like spin.

Wait; I get it. This is more bait! Can you please not troll around here? It gives us "muggles" a bad name. Mad

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. I must have been grouchy yesterday. Misconstrue, mispercieve (is that a word?)away. I'm going to my happy place (putting criminals in jail).

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe you misremembered?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's quite possible. As my neice used to say when she was little, I have a bad "remembry".

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you drink and drive and get caught drunk in Harris County, there's a new court-ordered program that might allow you to have your record wiped clean.

But since the county has the nation's worst record for drunk-driving deaths, you can imagine some people don't think that's a great idea.

The 11 News I-Team dug into this and found an evolving controversy that centers on what's being done---and not being done---in the courtroom of one Harris County Judge.

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So is it safe to assume that the honorable Judge has reported all of his colleagues who are participating in this "illegal" program to the Commission on Judicial Conduct?

I especially liked the comment from one reader that there should be mandatory maximum sentences on ALL of these cases. If, as reported in the article, there are 6000 DWI first arrests in Harris County each year, wouldn't mandatory maximum sentences result in probably 5500 MORE jury trials per year?!

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last office, the Williamson County Attorney's Office, had a very workable pre-trial program for first-time DWI offenders. No accident cases were even considered for the program nor breath test cases over .15. The defendant admitted guilt in a notorized exhibit and agreed to a predetermined probation plea if unsuccessful in the program. An interlock was required of all participants for the length of the program. Finally, the contract contained a provision that they agree not to expunge the arrest.

Posts: 66 | Location: Travis County, TX, USA | Registered: August 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post