TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    SAFPF
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAFPF Login/Join 
posted
I am told that the typical 9-month treatment program in SAFPF either has already or is planned to be reduced to a 3-month program. I am told that the number of SAFPF beds has already been reduced (Havins Unit no longer exists, as a SAFPF). I am told that the length of time one waits for entry into a SAFPF has already dramatically increased. Can anyone tell me for sure what is going on or what the future holds in this regard? If what I have been told (or something worse) is true, will this affect your decisions on how to deal with drug offenders or drug-related offenders? What changes are you anticipating in this regard?

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Shannon or someone will soon chime in, but I think they are talking about cutting it to 6 months, not 3. They are trying to free up some beds they can use for other folks. As I'm sure you are aware, TDCJ reported early in the session that they would reach maximum operational capacity (98% of total capacity) sometime during the legislative session. All this stuff about early termination of probation and mandatory probation for state jail felonies is also about curbing the growth in TDCJ to the extent possible, which also saves money since the State won't have to pay the counties for warehousing state prisoners.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post