TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Addressing faulty kidnap allegation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Addressing faulty kidnap allegation Login/Join 
posted
Greetings all. I am new to the practice of law, and wondered if you might point me in the right direction with a problem I am addressing.
A year or so ago, a female client was abused by her husband. She left for a safe house, taking their young daughter. He filed kidnapping charges. Those charges, apparantly, are still showing up, as her application for assisted housing was denied because of them. I just got this case yesterday, so am not even sure if there is an arrest warrant out for her.
Now, I know the Tx Code of Crim Procedure has a way to expunge an arrest record, but I assume it doesn't apply as she has not been (nor particularly cares to be) arrested.
I would be grateful for any input and assistance.

Posts: 3 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This user group is dedicated to open discussion by prosecutors of criminal law issues. It is not a place for legal advice to defendants or their attorneys. Sorry.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My apologies, I didn't mean to make an inappropriate post, or take advantage of this resource in a way that would offend.
My (very new) practice is entirely civil, with the occasional pro bono client such as this thrown into the mix.
I do have an interest in criminal law and have read this board since I moved to Dallas, and find it enlightening and thought-provoking.
Again, my apologies.

Posts: 3 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mark (it's Mark, right?): we can't give you advice on how to defend your client, but it sounds like you need to gather more information about the warrant, its status, and any pending charges against your new client before deciding when/how to turn her in. Basically, nothing can happen until the warrant is executed or withdrawn (and the latter is rarely done).

I'm sure the local law enforcement/prosecution offices will be happy to help you resolve an open fugitive case if you approach them with that goal in mind.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post