TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    No Sunscreen Sticker = Ticket
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Sunscreen Sticker = Ticket Login/Join 
posted
Motorist burned by state's sunscreen law

By RAD SALLEE
5/25/08 - Houston Chronicle

It's not even officially summer, and, apparently, the tanning police already are busy.

"I got a ticket last week (admit to speeding on the downside of a bridge -- gotta brake in those places!)." wrote Vanessa Gerondale.

"And the officer also added a charge of 'no sunscreen label,' " she added.

Gerondale knew, even if I didn't at first, that this wasn't about the sunscreen that runs into your eyes when you're stuck in line at the Bolivar Ferry with the top down.

This was the kind that can prevent drivers from seeing the road clearly in bad light and can prevent police from seeing into the passenger compartment - for instance, when they stop you for speeding on the downside of a bridge.

"I drive a 2000 Lexus ES300 with factory windows and no aftermarket tint," Gerondale wrote. "The etched mark on the window reads Toyota Dot 23 Nippon Safety UV TP AS2 N5G M508 and has a little picture that looks like a circle with a lightening bolt going through it.

"I just can't understand how this can be in violation," she said. "This car has passed all its annual safety inspections without comment."

That's a good car. My '95 Camry usually talks back.

Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Tela Mange said she asked her "gurus" at DPS, who cited Section 547 of the Texas Transportation Code.

This goes into the topic of sunscreens in detail, but summing it up, Mange said, it appears that "a label is only required when a sunscreening device, such as a film or tint, has been added to a window."

Gerondale said the offense carries a $145 fine and that several lawyers have contacted her. It may be cheaper to pay the fine, but she also may have a good case.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/moveit/5801562.html

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will admit that dark tint annoys me because I can't see through other's cars in order to see oncoming traffic. When you combine dark tint with an SUV, you have this giant obstacle you can't see around that limits your ability to make a left turn.

The Lizard Man is innocent!

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, and consider how officers feel when they have to approach a vehicle--especially at night--when they can't see through the windows at what they might be facing!

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certainly, the impact on officers is great. I just wanted to point out that illegal tint affects ordinary drivers, too.

The Lizard Man is innocent!

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would this van make you nervous?

Who knows what might be waiting inside?!?!

... edit: removed first image because I cant seem to figure out the URL for the image hosting service

[This message was edited by AlexLayman on 06-02-08 at .]

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But Alex, if you look really, really close, you can still see the mark on the tint required by law. Wink

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post