TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Murder sentencing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Murder sentencing Login/Join 
posted
I've been working on some research but am having difficulty finding statistics regarding murder sentencing (specifically within Texas).

The best documentation I've located to-date groups all murders together (to include manslaughter). Any idea of where I could locate data regarding sentencing means and medians for each type of murder?

Thanks in advance,
John R.

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, I wonder if there is a trademark infringement case here?

I have not seen any publicly available data like that. It would be difficult to obtain because of our broad punishment ranges and jury sentencing as well as issues like the punishment "defense" of sudden passion, credit for pretrial detention, and the existence of prior convictions alleged for enhancement. Your best bet might be to study a jurisdiction with guidelines, e.g. Washington, although they must now change their system because it is presumptively unconstitutional.

The "Real" JohnR, fka Chickenman, fka Captain Needa, fka . . .

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post